The shoulder is one of the most mobile parts of the body, which is why it has a high risk for injury. Shoulders are commonly used for lifting, holding, reaching, carrying, pressing, or pulling actions. Shoulder discomfort or pain is not uncommon and can be due to traumatic injuries or due to wear and tear through repetitive movements.
Thankfully, shoulder injuries are highly treatable in the early stages of pain. Untreated shoulder pains can develop into a chronic problem that can affect simple everyday activities such as getting dressed, carrying groceries, or combing your hair, which is why it’s crucial to provide the proper care and treatment for your shoulder. One of the most effective methods of pain relief is physiotherapy. This article discusses the three most effective physiotherapy exercises to relieve shoulder pain.
Exercise #1: Standing Pendulum Exercises
The pendulum exercise uses the momentum and weight of your arm to move your shoulder joint while keeping the injured or repaired muscles inactive.
- Step 1: The pendulum exercise is done by leaning over and holding on to a table or chair with your non-injured arm.
- Step 2: Bend the hips, allow the sore or injured arm to hang and sway straight down, and draw circles in the air.
- Step 3: You should start by making small circles, gradually expanding them, and then reversing their direction periodically.
- Step 4: Repeat this exercise 5 to 10 times throughout the day.
Exercise #2: Arm Across The Chest Stretch
Stretching your arms across your chest is a simple yet effective way of relieving shoulder pains. No equipment is needed, and the exercise can be done between daily tasks.
- Step 1: Hold your right hand in front of your body and keep it near your waist.
- Step 2: Reach your left hand behind your right elbow while pulling your right arm to the left and across your chest.
- Step 3: Lower the arm slowly until the pain decreases.
- Step 4: Maintain this position for 30 to 50 seconds before releasing.
- Step 5: Repeat this stretch 3 to 5 times a day.
Exercise #3: Neck Release
The neck release exercise is a gentle and effective way to loosen the tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Step 1: While sitting straight, tilt your chin downwards slowly towards your chest until the stretch can be felt in the back of the neck.
- Step 2: Lean your head toward the left to stretch out the right shoulder.
- Step 3: Hold this position for at least 1 minute while breathing deeply to help with relaxation
- Step 4: Repeat on the opposite side.
- Step 5: Do each side 3 – 5 times.
Physiotherapy is one of the best methods of treating shoulder pain or injury. Executing the physiotherapy exercises listed in this article can help you stretch your shoulders, speeding up the recovery process.
To get a more in-depth perspective on your shoulder injury, you should consider seeking the advice of a pain management specialist in Singapore. At Pain SG, we have a team of experienced and knowledgeable specialists who can help to manage and prevent pain. We provide many treatment options, from ankle pain management to back and knee pain treatment.
Feel free to contact us to schedule an appointment or send your queries to email@example.com.